Monday, August 31, 2015

Red Queen book review

So, I haven't written a book review in quite some time. We will see  how this goes.  The book summary is shared below:

"The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.

Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of
those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.

But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?
 "

I have been in a reading slump for a while. Nothing seems interesting to me as of lately, because I feel like it's the same story over and over, with different characters.  This slump is most likely caused by my binge of romantic novels. I love them, but they can get old and I need breaks. Unfortunately, I have mostly romance books on my kindle.  When this popped up in my suggested  reads on goodreads, I decided to check it out. 


I found Mare to be a likable character, but naive. She's a thief with a strong sense of loyalty to family and friends, who will do anything, be anyone, to keep them safe. Just when things get bumpy, she is offered a position at the palace, working for Silvers, the people that she despises. Upon taking the position, she discovers that she, a Red, has powers. This is unheard of as Silvers are the high class and are the only ones who can posses powers. Mare shakes things up and gains friends, as well as enemies, that she thought she would never have. She learns that there are more to people than just a class. 

I loved this book and gave it 5 stars because it was a page turner for me. I read it in hours and risked my beauty sleep for it. It was refreshing to read a story that wasn't focused wholly on romance. There are snippets of it, but they are minimal. 

That being said, I did find many parts very predictable. I was able to tell ahead what would take place, based off of various hints here and there. Some may like that, but I prefer shock factor instead. It was a riveting story that had pieces that reminded me of Hunger Games, Red is Rising, and Graceling - All excellent books in my opinion. If you are looking for a fast paced fantasy novel, look no further than Red Queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment